Saturday, March 17, 2012
Saint Patricks Day "Potato" Candy
Yams? You'd never guess by tasting this Irish treat. We've add a healthy new twist to this holiday classic. Rolled in coconut, these sweets make the perfect St. Patrick's Day dessert.
1 Japanese or Garnet Yam
1 teaspoon of Vanilla extract
2 tablespoon of honey or agave syrup
1/3 cup of Bob's Red Mill Arrowroot flour/starch
1 1/2 cups of shredded coconut (sweet or unsweetened)
[substitutions: either rutabaga or turnip + an extra 2 TBSP of honey or agave]
1) Peel Yam and either boil in water or steam until soft.
2) In a mixing bowl, mash the cooked Yam. Then- this is key- let the it cool completely, or else the starch will melt.
3 )Mix in Vanilla extract and 2 TBPS of agave/honey- Taste, add more if necessary.
4) Then add Arrowroot flour/starch + 3/4 of a cup of shredded coconut to mixture.The mixture should be stiff, of it isn't then add more shredded coconut.
5) Put 1/2 the shredded coconut on to a plate. Then take teaspoonful of the mixture and roll into little ball. Roll balls into the coconut, until fully covered. Repeat.
6) Chill the finished candies until your ready to serve.
makes 3-4 dozen
Happy St. Patrick's Day ^^
at 5:02 PM