Monday, November 7, 2011
Dirty Habanero Rice-Balls *Original Recipe*
Today was inspirational. What started out as a simple habanero rice recipe, evolved into a hot rocking original recipe. It's like they say, "When you have rice, make Rice-Balls!"
[CAUTION: Remember to ALWAYS wear latex or vinyl gloves and protective goggles. The oil from the peppers can burn your skin. Don't touch hands, nose, face when handling peppers.]
2/3 cup of short grain brown rice
1/3 cup of calrose rice or sushi rice
1 habanero pepper diced
1/2 tsp of salt (optional)
2 cups of water
1/4 cup of fresh chopped cilantro
2 scallions, diced
2 tbsp of fresh lime juice
1) Chop and dice habanero, cilantro and scallions. [ Remember to wear gloves & goggles ^^]
2) Rise rice. Then place in rice cooker with water; and turn the switch on. (conventional method can also be used to cook rice)
3) When the rice is boiling, add the diced habanero pepper, and 1/2 tsp of salt (optional).
4) After the rice is done, let it cool for 2-4 mins. Then scoop rice into a bowl.
5) Add cilantro and scallions, lime juice and mix with rice.
*To prepare Rice-Balls*
(At this point the rice should be very sticky.)
1) Set aside a bowl of water.
2) Dip hands in water, then take about 3/4 of a hand full of rice.
3) Form the rice into a ball, similar to how you would form a snowball.
4) To form the famous Rice-Ball triangle shape: Place ball in-between hands and slightly flatten, then flatten the bottom. Then form the 2 remaining sides of the triangle.
Repeat until there's no more rice!
This recipe should make around 7-8 Rice-Balls.
Feel free to garnish with seaweed....we used yellow peppers.
at 5:12 PM