We've done it again! In 2011, The Pocky Campaign developed the recipe for Gluten/Allergy-Free Pocky. This memorial day, we have perfected the recipe for the second most popular Pocky flavor: Strawberry.
Sensational Gluten/Allergy-Free Strawberry Pocky
1 teaspoon yeast
1/2 cup warm water
3/4 teaspoon honey/agave nectar/sugar
1/2 cup of brown/white rice flour combine
1/3 cup tapioca starch
1 teaspoon arrowroot starch
1 egg white
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
2 Tablespoons grape-seed oil (plus 1/2 teaspoon for the baggie)
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar
1/4 cup of Strawberries
1/2 cup of soy-free white chocolate chips
1 medium Ziploc bag
- Heat water until medium hot. Add honey and yeast and mix together. Set aside, while you mix the remaining ingredients.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients.
- Stir wet ingredients together (egg white, vinegar, oil) then dry ingredients and mix. (This mixture will be a bit lumpy, this is OK. Just mix well, and get rid of as many lumps as possible)
- Check the yeast mixture. If it has risen, then add this to the dry and mix together.
- Drizzle 1/2 teaspoon of oil into a medium Ziploc bag. Smooth the outside of the bag around to spread the oil around inside. (This prevents the dough from sticking to it.)
- Scrap the dough into the bag. Snip one of the corners slightly. [ For Regular sized Pocky, cut a small snip in the bag. For Large Pocky cut a large snip.] Squeeze the dough out the corner on to a piece of parchment paper. Squeeze you Pocky dough into long lengths and leave about 1 1/2 inches in between your Pocky sticks to allow a little room for rising.
- Set the Large Pocky aside to rise for 2-4 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Then place parchment paper on a baking sheet, and slide into the oven.
- Bake for 9 – 15 minutes or until golden.
- When the Pocky are done, let them cool.
12. Chop the strawberries and place in a food processor, and puree.
14. Using a double boiler (a bowl over a pot of boiling water) melt the white chocolate.
15. When the white chocolate is almost melted, add 3 TBSP's of strawberry puree and mix.
16. Voila! Strawberry-White Chocolate.
17. Remove bowl from double boiler. Take Pocky sticks and dip until their half-way covered, or use a knife to spread the Strawberry-White Chocolate.
18. Place Strawberry covered Pocky on parchment paper.
19. When finished dipping, place Pocky in the fridge for about 10-15 mins; so that the strawberry coating will harden.
19. Note: This Pocky is best enjoyed within 1-5 days
There you have it: Home-made Strawberry Gluten/Allergy-Free Pocky ^.^