Friday, March 15, 2013
The Flying Purple Cake
The inspiration for this cake came from the Japanese concept of using beans to create sweet treats. There are added health benefits to this desert. It's well known that black beans contain C3G (cyanidin 3-glucoside) which enhances the body's metabolism to help burn fat. In general, beans are also been known to reduce blood sugar.The blueberries and strawberries help with thyroid and contain omega-3's. Teff Flour is a protein power-house. The best part is this cake is delicious. So, go head have your cake and eat it too ^.^
2 - 16 oz cans of (no-salt) black beans
1/2 cup of strawberries
1/4 cup of blueberries
1/3 cup of teff flour
1/4 cup of arrowroot starch
2 tsp of guar gum
3 TBSP of agave syrup
1/2 cup of Enjoy Life chocolate chips
1/2 tsp of baking soda
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
optional: 2 TSBP of unsweetened coco powder
1) In a food processor blend the strawberries and blueberries
2) Open the 2 cans of black beans, place in a colander and rise well; then add to food processor and blend.
3) Pour in a bowl, and then mix in the dry ingredients. Add the chocolate chips, agave syrup, and mix again. [If the batter is still watery add extra 1 tsp of guar gum]
4) Line baking pan or spring form pan with parchment paper (this will prevent the batter from sticking). Now, pour in batter and smooth out the top.
5) Preheat Oven to 350, and bake cake for 35 mins
6) Feel free to decorate with fruit, melted chocolate or whatever your heart desires.
[Baking Tip from our friends at Sweet Freedom Bakery: baking soda and cream of tartar is a great replacement for baking powder]
at 12:46 PM