[CAUTION: Remember to ALWAYS wear latex or vinyl gloves and protective goggles. The oil from the peppers can burn your skin. Don't touch hands, nose, face when handling peppers.]
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 large carrots, chopped
2 medium-sized red tomatoes, cut into quarters
1/4 of 1 Spanish or Red Onion, cut into strips
2-3 habanero peppers, cut in half [ this salsa is hot hot, if you wish to reduce the "heat reduce the amount of habanero peppers]
3 cloves of garlic, cut in half
Juice of one lime
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar *
1) Prep ingredients. [Remember to wear gloves when chopping habanero's]
2) Heat the oil in a skillet on medium heat. Add the carrots and let them cook for about five minutes. Then add to the skillet the onion, tomatoes, habaneros and garlic cloves and cook, stirring occasionally.
3) Transfer skillet contents to a blender and add lime juice, cider vinegar and pulse (can add a bit of water, a tablespoon at a time if it’s too thick.
4) Add salt and pepper to taste; if desired.
* The original recipe uses white vinegar, which can come from corn or wheat. We used cider vinegar instead, because it's distilled from apples.*