Wednesday, September 14, 2011
It's Habanero Week!! Bring on the Heat!
Welcome to Habanero week! Starting today, were celebrating the spiciest ingredient: the chill pepper. Stay tuned, because these recipes are HOT, HOT, HOT!
Quick Habanero Facts:
- Experts think it originated in Cuba, "Habanero", means "from Havana".
- The Hanbanro is grown, in Costa Rica, Mexico, Texas, California.
- The Scoville Scale is used to measure "heat" in peppers. Habanero range from 300,000- 500,000 Units. It's 30-50 times hotter than Jalepenos.
- Contrary to popular belief, the seed are not the hottest part of the pepper. Capsaicin, the substance that produces heat, is located near the skin or inner walls of the chill pepper.
- Capsaicin is also an ingredient used in over counter cream to ease arthritis, and joint pain.
- The hottest peppers on record are: Bhut Jolokia, Naga Viper Chili, Infinity Chili, and the hottest of them all: Trinidad Scorpion Butch T from Australia.
at 11:32 AM