Sunday, December 18, 2011
Good Stuff Special: Foy Sauce- Our Original Soy Sauce Substitute
In Asian cuisine Soy-Sauce is King. For those who have a soy allergy, it's a nightmare. We searched high and low, and worked long and hard to create a good soy substitute. The first recipe to kick off, our segment in Anime & Cooking, is, our original recipe, Foy Sauce.
[ The F stands for fake `.^]
1/2 of apple cider vinegar
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
2.5 TBSP of molasses
1/2 tsp of agave syrup
a dash of mace
1) Chop 3 cloves of garlic and set aside.
2) In a small pot, heat 1/2 cups of apple cider vinegar. (If your not allergic to corn you may us distilled vinegar)
3) Let cool for 2-3 mins and pour vinegar in a glass jar. The add the chopped garlic to vinegar.
4) Place the jar in the fridge and leave over night.
5) The next day you might notice that the garlic has turned blue/green. The garlic is still safe to eat. It's just chemistry at work, the blue/green color is caused by sulfur & copper compound reacting to one another.
6) Remove the garlic.
7) Then add the molasses, agave syrup and mace. Stir content until they're mixed well.
8) Taste the Foy Sauce! This sauce is bit sharper than Soy Sauce. To soften the taste add more agave syrup till it's to your liking.
Refrigerate Foy Sauce- lasts for 2 weeks; after the taste will become stronger.
at 1:51 AM