Wednesday, December 7, 2011
How to make Home-made Red Food Coloring
Ever wondered how to make your own food coloring? It's a lot easier than one might think.
Home-made Red Food Coloring
1/2 cup of raspberries frozen or fresh
2/3 of a cup of water
1) Add 2/3 of a cup of water in a pot and boil on medium heat.
2) When water is boiling, add raspberries.
3) Boil for about 20 minutes or until water is a deep red colored.
4) Turn off and cool.
5) Then separate water from raspberries.
A handful of frozen raspberries & water
1) Place raspberries in a deep bowl, then water and make sure the raspberries are slightly covered.
2) Place in microwave, and heat for 60 seconds to 1 min depending on your microwave wattage.
3) Then separate water for raspberries.
(Only Use this method for small amounts of food coloring)
Remember to refrigerate food coloring, and use ASAP!
Here are some other foods that you can use to create your own food coloring:
Brown:coca or coffee powder
Green:kale, parsley, spinach, romaine, cucumber, bell pepper, watercress.
Pink or Red: (depending how much of the fruits of vegetables you use):beets, berries, cranberries, tomatoes, rhubarb, strawberries, pomegranate.
Purple and Blue: (depending how much of the fruits of vegetables you use):cabbage (can be juiced or boiled), blueberries, blackberries, grapes (black or purple ones)
Yellow/Orange: curry and/or turmeric powder, or yellow beets.
at 7:27 PM